Rowenta Precision iron started on fire. Thinking quickly I pulled cord from plug, put it in kitchen sink.

Iron about two years old, irons about six shirts a week, used six months of year because of home in another state.

Called Rowenta, sent iron in for examination. Proof of fire damage showed on iron. Ironing board cover burned so threw out.

They will not replace...stating my fault because of excess stretching...repair at my expense. This iron should be recalled. Ironing board sits next to plug in...no stretching involved....used very little in the two years of ownership. Dangerous situation.

Comments

Columbus, Ohio, United States #1294745

I have a Rowenta DZ1500 and it is about two yrs old. I use it for quilting.

So not much. It started sizzling and popping then smoking. Ran it outside and dumped water on it. Sad day.

Won't buy one again. To many recalls.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #801720

IF you **EVER** have this happen with an applicance in the U. S.:

Contact the Consumer Product Saftey Comission, and get details on how to file a formal complaint with them. you can report an unsafe product right on their website: www.cpsc.gov "report an unsafe product". Your state may also have a similar reporting method for State level complaints IN ADDITION to the CPSC filing.

2. If any Product is UL regestered, ( underwriters Laboratories )

UL Has a stake in failures that cause a saftey or fire hazard because that is what they certify products as being safe from: failures, that can result in fire or burn injury to persons or surroundings.

Report the failure to them as well.

UL.com "report a concern" at bottom of page.

If Rowenta Or any branded product is NOT UL certified, don't buy!! It's not worth the risk.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #801713

IF you < have this happen with an applicance in the U. S.:

2. If any Product is UL regestered, ( underwriters Laboratories )

Report the failure to them as well.

UL.com "report a concern" at bottom of page.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #646471

Okay, wife was using her Rowenta garment steamer when I smelled something burning, investigated and discovered low and behold there the (less than a year-old) steamer billowing smoke from the side of the unit. Stunk to high heavens...

quickly unplugged the unit and took to the garage. The unit is a safety hazard and should be recalled ASAP!! And, just for clarification, we were following the instruction using distilled water, and the unit had been ON for approx. a half hour.

Do not go to Bed Bath and Beyond or Macy's or Penney's or Kohl's and buy one of these units, warning could cause serious injury if used. :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh :sigh

My Rowenta Precision also caught fire and burned my ironing board cover...scared me to death! Never had an iron do that!! I haven't contacted CS yet.

to cookiebaker Avondale, Arizona, United States #1155139

Me too, but shooting sparks burned my arm. May 6, 2016 Rowenta dz 1500

File a report with the cpsc. Go to www.saferproducts.gov.

My Rowenta steam iron DZ1500 started on fire. If we would not have caught it in time it would have started our home on fire.

My iron is less than 18 months old and in perfect condition. I was surprised when I phoned customer service that since it was out of warrenty they would not do anything. They did not seem to care that it had started on fire. Pass this along to everyone you know!

I am going to visit with my local fire department about this as well. I would like to know anyother sites I can share this story with so no one buys these irons and has to worry about a fire!

My Rowenta Precision Iron caught on fire also. I had turned it off but it was still plugged in.

It burned my ironing board cover and melted metal fell onto my carpet which also caught on fire. Spoke with customer service and sent iron in. They assumed no repsonsibility for the fire and stated it was becuase I did not take proper care of the iron. There was leaking inside the iron that caused the short which led to the fire.

I should have known that?? The only thing they did for me was send the burnt iron back and told me I can do whatever I wanted to with it.

Very poor customer service. Not very friendly and obviously did not care about keeping me as a customer.

My Rowenta Professional iron also caught on fire! Burned the ironing board cover.

Was rarely used and never damaged.

Rowenta would do nothing! Very poor customer service.